Camping in style

July 20, 2012 | By | Comments (28)

Photographs by Thomas J. Story

This is from Sunset’s May cover. A teardrop camper in the woods at Gold Lake, CA. Something about it makes me thirsty for travel and summer. It’s rustic, it’s retro, it’s glam… It’s the West on wheels. Here’s your glamping eye-candy, kids.

Full-size mattress sleeps two.

Poppied-dotted sheets by Marimekko.

Even a door for each camper. Aww.

Plus, a little hatch-back kitchen. Hipster not included.

COMMENTS

1. cole ragland

Aislyn, please tell me where the teardrop pictured above can be rented or purchased. Not one like it, but the same as above. Thanks.

cole ragland

May 6, 2014 at 9:35 pm
  2. Ken Kropf

I have a ’68 VW Westfalia camper (bought in ’70) in for total restoration. I’m having camping/adventure/nostalgia withdrawal symptoms while the long rust, dent,bondo, removal process grinds on (no pun intended). This is just what the doctor ordered… wish I was a doctor. Ken in S/Cal.

March 30, 2014 at 5:49 am
  3. Glamping – Washington State Parks – Adventure Awaits

[…] is the new trend of camping in style – and a popular new vacation […]

November 14, 2013 at 11:19 am
  4. Glenn

Your cover photo certainly captures the true essence of camping with a teardrop. We have a 1947 Tourette teardrop that was restored except for a few modern touches like hot water and a electric frig. In addition to the small size and minimum decrease in gas milage, we have made a lot of new friends we normally would not have met thanks to our teardrop and it’s cute minimalistic approach to trailer camping.

October 22, 2013 at 2:12 am
  5. Andres Odone

Hello, I’m Andrew from Argentina, I’m building a teardrop by myself. The idea is build it idem, cause this is the best i ever seen. It is a hard work!!, I got pictures of my work. I would like to show them to people. Thanks! Andy

July 4, 2013 at 9:08 pm
  6. www.cateringviterbo.it

Interesting point of view.Thanks for the post. – Most of the time I dont have much fun. The rest of the time I dont have any fun at all. – Woody Allen Born 193

June 11, 2013 at 8:32 am
  7. www.gacs.mx

Damn ! I just found an glitch in your site! Check if addons is set correctly!Get fix at Watch Movies Online For Free Without Downloading

June 2, 2013 at 8:39 am
  8. how to last longer for men

Thanks for any other informative website.
    Where else may I am getting that kind of info written in such a
    perfect method? I’ve a challenge that I’m simply now working on, and I’ve been on the look out for such info.

March 28, 2013 at 12:54 am
  9. Brad

There is a sight that sells complete campers or plans, parts, etc. Take a look at http://www.bigwoodycampers.com

March 22, 2013 at 5:33 pm
  10. Becky Brannon

We have a Little Guy teardrop. Took it on a 5 week trip to Washigton, D.C. last year. Had a blast. Usually stayed in KOA’s, showers and toilets! This summer we’re off to Alaska. Can’t wait.

March 15, 2013 at 8:48 pm
    • Aislyn Greene

Becky, we’d love to see pics! Feel free to send them to community@sunset.com or post them to our Facebook wall. Happy travels – Aislyn, assistant travel editor.

March 20, 2013 at 8:39 am
  11. Conant Smith

I am interested in who manufactures the teardrop pictured in the article. Could you please emial me this information as soon as possible. Thanks!

March 9, 2013 at 5:58 pm
  12. http://yahoo.com

You actually generated several terrific tips
    throughout your post, “Glamp up your camp – Westphoria |
    A blog by Sunset”. I am going to you should be coming back to ur page soon enough.
    With thanks -Ines

February 9, 2013 at 2:16 am
  13. Brian L.

I have a teardrop similar to what is shown in the picture. Mine has air conditioning, queensize bed, DVD player, two burner stove, bug screens, and so much more. Our teardrop was made in Wisconsin by Camp Inn (www.tinycamper.com) Great customer service and product. Their web page will help to answer many of your questions. They also have an unofficial Forum (www.campinnforum.com) with feedback from owners. I originally thought it would be too small and that I would miss a toilet. Most toilets in RVs become a pain to maintain. Driving cross country, we never had a problem finding a camp ground with a bathroom. We even stayed in a Walmart in Salt Lake City. Their bathrooms stayed open until midnight and re-opened at 6 am. Forgive me for saying this, but there is something nice not hauling your poo around with you. We enjoy leaving our trailer in the camp ground and then driving around to explore with it un-hooked. I too was skeptical, but am sold on them now. When not in uses, our tailer is in our garage ready to go…just add wine, water, and our ice chest full of food.

February 5, 2013 at 11:19 pm
  14. Taryn

I’ve been looking at teardrops recently, butI haven’t been able to find any models that look quite like this. Could you let me know what company builds the trailor featured in these photos?

December 24, 2012 at 10:05 am
  15. wendy

I think teardrop and the little chalet-type campers are cute, but without a toilet, place to shower, or ability to stand upright in them, I don’t see what I’d be getting that I wouldn’t have just sleeping in the back of my van, except for the hassle of towing something… I’d appreciate feedback on this from people who own these type campers.

December 14, 2012 at 7:18 pm
  16. Kzin

G’Day Everyone
    I like the teardrop camper idea also. I have found many many sites dedicated to this wonderful idea. From camping groups to various Plans on how to build one your self. Some plans are detailed enough to have everything, dimentions to tongue weight. One group is called “Tear Jerkers”, If’n I remember correctly. All the info. is out there, have fun camping.

December 4, 2012 at 2:20 pm
  17. San Diego’s Hipster Trailer Park – Westphoria | A blog by Sunset

[...] complete. Far from its early days as a humble camping device, it has since been polished into glam teardrop campers and urban quasi-hotels, like the Mobile Love Den, a refurbished trailer in one of San [...]

October 4, 2012 at 6:01 am
  18. Kristi Maki

I would like to see more of the “trunk” storage area. Is it like a cooking area? This is really cool, I love camping…

September 1, 2012 at 1:45 pm
  19. Scott Chaney

Hi Aislyn, Teardrop are a nice way to travel, but have you seen an Explorer Box? They are half the weight, opening the door to almost any vehicle towing one. Have a front kitchen / galley area and large foldout sleeping quarter. Search for Explorer Box Tent Topped trailer or drop me an email for additional information

August 30, 2012 at 7:46 am
    • Aislyn Greene

Hey Scott, these are pretty cool. I’d like to get more info, what’s your email?

August 31, 2012 at 10:27 am
      • Scott Chaney

Hi Aislyn, Glad to hear you like them, I’m at scott@cttct.com

August 31, 2012 at 10:34 am
  20. Pam Prince

Alysin,
    Sorry I spelled your name wrong.
    You should do a photo book on these beauties….
    Pam from Ojai,CA

August 4, 2012 at 1:42 pm
    • Aislyn Greene

Stay tuned – we may have more photos coming soon.

August 5, 2012 at 10:30 am