Squirrel damage gets worse

October 25, 2010 | By | Comments (12)

My bowl of ‘Wine Country Mesclun Mix’ bounced back quickly from a squirrel attack:

Picture 3

Looks delicious, right? Ready for some “cut and come again.”

Maybe Chip ‘n Dale have left the lettuce alone because they’ve discovered bigger and better (aka juicier stems).

Now I’m dealing with this:

Picture 4
RIP Cauliflower. I’m sorry you didn’t get to share your gifts with the world.

And this:

Picture 5

I’m hoping that this kohlrabi has enough energy from its remaining leaves to keep growing and snap back.

I had a bottle of organic squirrel spray but I gave it away because I didn’t think I would need it. Oops. Maybe I’ll buy some more, or better yet, try to make some of my own. They had pretty innocuous ingredients — things like cinnamon and rosemary oils.

I wish the hawk would come back.

Or we could always go the way of Team Squirrel.

Dear readers: What do you do about the squirrels?

Picture 7

From http://www.sugarbushsquirrel.com/

COMMENTS

1. Elaine Johnson

Hey, all, here’s a recipe from the 1936 Sunset All-Western Cook Book by Genevieve Callahan. You catch ‘em, Johanna, and Team Kitchen can…think about cooking ‘em.

Squirrels

Skin, clean thoroughly, and wash squirrels. Wipe dry, and stuff with sausage meat or other dressing. Sew up or tie, and roast in a hot oven (450°), basting with butter and water at first, and later with the liquid in the pan. Roast until brown and tender. Garnish with lemon and endive or parsley, and serve with jelly.

Don’t you love how the recipe assumes that we basically know what we’re doing?

January 5, 2011 at 5:27 pm
  2. Johanna

First I’d have to catch the squirrel…

December 17, 2010 at 10:12 am
  3. Margo True

Hey Johanna–I have a recipe for Brunswick Stew. It stars squirrel. Want me to dig it out? I’ve made it before and it’s delicious–also has okra, corn, lima beans (okay, I did a chicken version, but I want to try the real thing!) I have a nice stewpot ready…

December 17, 2010 at 6:51 am
  4. KathyG

i’m quite sure my ancient copy of Joy of Cooking tells both how to skin and cook squirrel. For sure it has a recipe for whale — how could it not have squirrel? A Southern delicacy, yes? Come to me, my tasty little friend, right into this here live trap. Maybe you could bake several of them in a pie, like the blackbirds of song and story?

October 31, 2010 at 12:33 am
  5. Colleen

Alas, my copy of “Bull Cook” is all packed up in preparation for moving. It would have an answer for you! I have a friend who live-traps them in her backyard (24 and counting this year) and then they kill them. Her husband cooked one and said it was like dark turkey.

October 27, 2010 at 11:19 pm
  6. Johanna

WOW — So much support for Team Squirrel! I don’t even know where to start. Is there a way to hunt them without a gun? Can I trap them and eat them? Also, Team Kitchen is n-e-v-e-r going to go for this…

October 27, 2010 at 6:38 am
  7. Colleen

Another vote for eating them. TEAM SQUIRREL!

October 26, 2010 at 7:57 pm
  8. Erika

Sunset squirrels seem to twitch more than is usual for a twitchy critter. Eating them might prove toxic! I’d vote for bringing in a dog a few times a week, to knock some sense back into them.

October 25, 2010 at 9:14 pm
  9. Shootem

Pellet gun/.22 rifle, followed by salt, pepper and an open flame. Or a dog.

October 25, 2010 at 7:14 pm
  10. tina k (friend of nugget)

Ok, I didn’t want you to eat the rooster. After all, he was just fine when he was a she. And with a cute name like Nugget after all. But the squirrel? Well, it’s kind of like the snail, right? Pesty, destructive, and not a pet.

October 25, 2010 at 7:00 pm
  11. Joe

Euthanasia.

October 25, 2010 at 6:17 pm
  12. Margaret

Cayenne pepper helps a little, but it has to be fresh and dry.

If you go the route of Team Squirrel, pepper makes the little critters right tasty too!

October 25, 2010 at 5:18 pm