Ruby, Post-Peritonitis

May 18, 2010 | By | Comments (9)

Ruby post-peritonitis

Ruby scarfing parsley today.

A month ago, Ruby, the feisty runt of the flock, was not
doing so well. She’d developed one of those strange problems known only to
birds—egg yolk peritonitis—and nearly checked out.

After a visit to Adobe Animal Hospital, a quick abdominal
drain, and some antibiotics, she’s strutting around, cackling, and gobbling up vegetables
with her usual glee.

I hope she keeps it up. Going to the vet with your chickens is not a good routine to develop…I can just hear my older relatives—the ones who’ve had farm experience—saying, “For goodness sake, it’s a chicken.”

It’s true. On the other hand, she’s one great little chicken. Sigh.

COMMENTS

1. Weight Loss

I always see your article something everyday because I like your thought and I get many advice after read you article. I tell to my other friends about this article. I hope you will read my this comment and you will remember me. i want you always make new articles like this.

Weight Loss

July 29, 2010 at 3:35 pm
  2. Lana

So? What happened? I have 4 chickens in my cottage back yard…..pretty enjoyable!

July 26, 2010 at 2:42 pm
  3. Margo True

I hate to say it, Tina, but I think she is indeed getting puffy. She’s adopting that wide stance that is telltale…so far she doesn’t act sick at all. I’m hoping it’s going to magically clear, but I think we have a matter of a couple of days to figure out what to do. What course will you take, do you think?

May 26, 2010 at 4:21 am
  4. tina k (friend of nugget)

Thanks Margo,

She’s puffing up again already :( I think you should feel Ruby’s belly to make sure it does not feel tight and bloaty. If not, she’s probably ok.

Tina

May 24, 2010 at 3:48 pm
  5. Margo True

And Tina, sorry about Lacy! One of the “chicken whisperers” at BackyardChickens.com also has a hen with recurring peritonitis, and this person apparently drains the chicken herself. I hope depo provera works for Lacy.

May 21, 2010 at 8:03 pm
  6. Margo True

Thanks, guys. Tina, I’m not sure whether she’s laid an egg–because hers are about the same shape and hue as Carmelita’s. (Carmelita is our other Rhode Island Red.) I think she has, though, because she’s valiantly doing the Egg Crouch whenever I go in, which means she’s at least in the mood.

May 21, 2010 at 8:00 pm
  7. bee_friendly

Great–thanks for the update

May 19, 2010 at 10:23 pm
  8. tina k (friend of nugget)

Do you know if Ruby has laid an egg yet? Lacy tried to lay an egg Friday, but got peritonitis again. She was back at the vet this morning. This indicates likely scar tissue and she’ll be unable to pass any eggs without getting blocked up. We may have to try depo provera to keep her from laying eggs. Keep an eye on Ruby. My other chicken with peritonitis lays eggs and is just fine.

May 18, 2010 at 10:44 pm
  9. Laurel

Thank you for the update and for caring about Ruby!

May 18, 2010 at 4:14 pm