Moldy beyond repair: Fall dinner disaster #8

November 7, 2009 | By | Comments (2)

I know I haven’t yet told you about the first 7. I’ve been avoiding it…soon I’ll spill the beans. But there’s no avoiding disaster #8, the mushroom log we’ve been relying on for shiitakes for our fall one-block dinner. Which is in 5 days.

 

Fargonemushlog

Eeesh.

 

I’ve tried to revive this log with soakings in diluted bleach, with mold-shaving sessions, with tight wrappings in plastic. I may have done the wrong thing; makers of other kits suggest rubbing alcohol and no bleach under any circumstances. Who knows. The mold lives on.

Luckily, Far West Fungi will replace incorrigibly moldy logs for its customers, as long as they’re reasonably satisfied you haven’t mistreated your log (stored it on the floor next to the trash, for instance.) In the meantime, does anyone have suggestions for how we can keep our next log mold-free?

COMMENTS

  1. The Bite Me Kitchen

    Oh dear. This is exactly what happened to me when I tried to grow mushrooms! I grew a few, but mostly MOLD! Yuck!

    November 17, 2009 at 9:23 pm
  2. KathyG

    Don’t look at me. I’m allergic to mushrooms. If it was MY log I would happily toss it into the compost pile and move on to something more (for me) tasty and edible.

    November 14, 2009 at 2:39 am

Leave a Comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s