Presenting Firstleaf for wine lovers!

A sample shipment of wines from the Firstleaf wine club.

A sample shipment of wines from the Firstleaf wine club.

Good news! Sunset has a new wine club. It’s called Firstleaf—in wine terms, a vineyard’s first growing season, a time of promise and potential. And in terms of wine, our new club also offers enormous potential for bringing great bottles into your life for exceptional prices.

These will be small-production wines exclusive to our members, from the best wine regions all over the world. The starting point is a half-case every two months. But from there, it gets interesting: You can rate the bottles you’ve gotten, and your future wines will be tailored to your taste. You can even change how often you get shipments—spreading them out or speeding them up.

I’m especially excited about our first set of bottles, which I personally chose:

Long Meadow Ranch 2013 Sauvignon Blanc (Rutherford, Napa Valley)

A crisp, fresh white loaded with citrus and some tropical notes, layered with the herbal, grassy character that makes Sauv Blanc so interesting.

Wente 2014 Riva Ranch Chardonnay (Arroyo Seco, Monterey)

A Chard with lovely balance—just enough toast, butter, and vanilla on the rich palate, with excellent acidity to keep the package bright. Think lemon brûlée served in an apple orchard just after a rain.

Hawthorne Grove 2013 Pinot Noir (Monterey County)

A complex mix of dark cherry, loam, and spice is wrapped in pretty floral aromas with a hit of black pepper.

Argiano 2013 NC Rosso (Toscano IGT)

Tangy, briary berry flavors with hints of vanilla and spice take on distinct Italian character with dusty, earthy notes.

St. Hallett 2013 “Faith” Shiraz (Barossa, South Australia)

Exotic spices lurk under generous and juicy black fruit and briary berry flavors with haunting tobacco and anise carrying through the finish.

Owl Ridge 2012 “Tyto” Red (Alexander Valley)

Forest aromas—cedar and pine—lead into spicy dried fruit, cassis, and fresh berry flavors on the palate, carried by a firm tannin structure.

COMMENTS

1. Janice Watts

We enjoyed our first wine shipment last evening and planned our dinner based on the recommendations on the tasting notes on the Firstleaf wine club site. We had shrimp toasts with the Long meadow Ranch Sauvignon Blanc from Rutherford. With the Coat and Badge merlot from Columbia Valley WA, we had a porcini tomato sauce with spaghetti. A maple brined pork loin roast and roasted carrots were excellent with Still & Co. red wine blend from Oakville, CA. Wonderful wine, wonderful food, great experience. This is a fun way to try wine we wouldn’t normally choose.

October 6, 2016 at 10:48 am
  2. Robert & Louise Wilkinson

Sounds exciting to learn about wines at a reasonable price. Oh yes, wine club would be great. We are a gated Community so that would work well.

August 20, 2016 at 9:12 am
  3. Kay Stokke

I am interested in starting a wine tasting club, and would like to try the wines and recipes as outlined in the Aug. 2016 issue of Sunset. Hopefully there will be a similar article with pairings each month. I can’t find the wines listed in the article on your web site.

August 1, 2016 at 7:33 pm
  4. carol

I had a lot of difficulty signing up, but eventually was glad because I realized the wines they were listing were not from west coast and not well reviewed, so technology challenged paid off this time.

January 19, 2016 at 12:36 pm
  5. LindaLee Crabtree

I live in AZ during winter months. There is a delivery problem here. WY during summer- no problem there.

January 14, 2016 at 8:45 am
  6. Sharon Wuerl

We gave the Sunset Wine Club to my son & his wife as a Christmas gift. I asked for my son’s honest feedback to see if we should get the same gift to another friend. He did not recommend it based on the quality of wines they received.

January 14, 2016 at 7:05 am
  7. Katherine Wylde

When the Sunset Wine club was dismantling, I called to hopefully reorder some of my favorite wines from that club and was told about Kitchen and Vine which I joined. I have so far enjoyed the selections I have received and while my palate would enjoy another wine club and its experiences, alas, my budget does not.

January 13, 2016 at 4:57 pm
  8. Becky

Ditto Dawn – After the Sunset wine club discontinued we joined what we thought was the new replacement, Kitchen & Vine. Even that wasn’t easy though so we are letting it lapse. Always enjoyed the Sunset Wine Club and would like to join again.

January 13, 2016 at 4:22 pm
  9. Sandi grunwald

Sign me up for the wine club

January 13, 2016 at 4:18 pm
  10. Dawn

After the Sunset wine club discontinued I joined what I thought was the new replacement called Kitchen & Vine. The wines they were sending me were $12.00 bottles and I was paying $20.00 for them through the wine club so I didn’t see the value in paying a higher price.

January 13, 2016 at 2:33 pm
  11. Vicki Velez

I stopped the wine club because we don’t entertain as frequently and were building up our wine reserves. YOur selections are very good and would highly recommend your wine club to my firends.

January 13, 2016 at 1:45 pm
  12. warren the wine lover

None of the wines I received were, in my non-expert opinion, as good as the wines I can buy locally in my grocery store at half or one-third the price without even considering the delivery fee which, in Arizona, is hefty because of the requirement to have delivery vehicles that can keep the wines cool in our triple digit heat.

January 13, 2016 at 1:22 pm
  13. Susan McFadden

I loved the wine club when I have it. The reason I stopped is because of restrictions surrounding the transportation of alcohol/wine. Because I work I would have to make arrangements to pick up packages which became too much of a hassle. The quality and variety I recieved while on the plan was exceptional.

January 13, 2016 at 12:12 pm