We’re moving!

June 2, 2015 | By | Comments (75)
Jack London Square

Our new home in Jack London Square!

To the dismay of my husband and children, I actually like moving. Discovering new neighborhoods and cities, decorating a new house—for me it’s the beginning of an adventure every time. (Admittedly, I could skip packing the junk drawer.)

And now Sunset is moving to a new location. After more than 50 years in the iconic Cliff May-designed “laboratory for Western living” in Menlo Park, we’re picking up stakes and moving our editorial and business operations to Jack London Square in Oakland, California.

Though we will all miss the gorgeous campus and gardens we have called home for so long, the move is consistent with Sunset’s longtime mission to reflect our readers’ lives and aspirations. In 1951 when Sunset moved from San Francisco to the south Bay, people all over the United States were leaving cities for the wide-open suburbs. Now the trend has reversed and Westerners—young people starting careers and empty-nesters alike—are opting to live where we can walk, bike or take public transit to work and experience new restaurants, shopping and culture out our front doors. We’ve documented this migration all over the West, from Denver to Portland, Seattle to San Francisco, Phoenix to LA. And now we’re part of it.

Jack London Square offers us a gorgeous waterfront location in a newly thriving neighborhood. One floor below our offices at 55 Harrison Street will be a brand new public food market developed by the same folks who led the transformation of SF’s Ferry Building, putting us in (literally) spitting distance of the kind of food innovators we cover every month. We’ll have world-class restaurants in walking distance, plus BART and Amtrak and the ferry system. Along with a wine cellar and test kitchens in our upstairs offices, we’re hoping to create a small raised-bed garden right on the waterfront – which means thousands more people will be able to see what we are up to. And amidst all the shiny new stuff, we love that the location connects us to our history: Jack London was a regular contributor to Sunset back in the day, and the cabin-style bar that was his regular haunt will be at our doorstep. (You may find us there occasionally.).

Choosing city life doesn’t mean we’ve given up on the bucolic pleasures of the countryside. In fact, for the first time in our history we’ll have a continuous presence in two locations. In partnership with Cornerstone, a retail and event venue in Sonoma, California, we will locate our main Test Garden beds and our outdoor kitchen at the sunny gateway to wine country. Thousands of people from all over the world visit Cornerstone’s campus on the way to experience the spectacular food, wine, and sights of Napa and Sonoma counties. We’re excited to put ourselves in their path—and excited about our future.

Come visit us in Menlo Park through November of this year—our gardens are open weekdays from 8:00-4 p.m. And then come see us in our new homes.

COMMENTS

1. California Corn Roast and more

any chance you hosting an event…
    we sell Corn on the Cob..
    Roasted Baked POTATOES..
    FRESH lemonade ..and more

we can help host events.
    have done your old setting..@Sunset Menlo Park..
    again thanks
    Trina Matthews
    530-559-4607

February 9, 2017 at 8:56 pm
  2. Sean Poindexter

According to Sunset Magazine, it showcases itself as “lifestyle magazine…which focuses on homes, cooking, gardening, and travel, with a focus almost exclusively on the Western United States.” So, it was a little surprising to read Irene Edwards’ editor’s letter about Jump-Starting your life wherein she states “we will have made progress toward some sort of healing” and references, grammatically incorrectly, “the enormity of our differences”. Just what does any of this have to do with homes, cooking, gardening or travel? Nothing at all. And yet, here is an august publication that has been around since 1898 now deciding to put its two cents in about all the healing we need as if some major castrophe hit the country. I am more than just a little curious as to what major event has befallen America that Ms. Edwards feels we need to heal from. My suggestion is that Ms. Edwards should leave politics out of this magazine. You would think that someone who was capable of spending close to $50K a year to attend The Spence School, as well as Northwestern, would understand the difference between propaganda and journalism. If I want to read an editor’s opinion about current political affairs, I’ll pick up a copy of The Nation or National Review. And if I want to read about home improvement projects, good cooking and interesting places to travel, I’ll read Sunset or some other life style magazine. So, Irene, stick to what you know.

December 15, 2016 at 3:03 pm
  3. 赤帽 引越し 見積もり

単独の引っ越しなら赤帽がおすすめ。彼が一人の引っ越しをする場合にちょくちょく利用します。赤帽は配送の印象があると思われますが引っ越しもやっています。荷物が少ない引越し配送最安の会社です。個人経営だから電話にこまる時にはウェブ申込みを利用して相談するいいと思います。とても使えます。

August 11, 2016 at 9:18 pm
  4. Susie
    June 6, 2016 at 5:56 am
  5. Susie

Guys!!! I need your help.Have you ever heard about these guys? They say my moving ca will be amazing

June 6, 2016 at 5:55 am
  6. Barbara Newcombe

Lucky me! I inherit Sunset magazine. And lucky Sunset to discover Jack London Square with all the water plus land tresures, just across from Alameda and those treasures. I am proud to point out that you missed one startling new/old venue. The Cleveland Cascade. It is located halfway between Lourdes Church and Brooklyn St. on Lakeshore.

The Cascade should have been a street in 1923, but was too steep. Back in 2004 local volunteers hoping to tamp down crime, cleaned it up. Now it is the iconic place for “doing the stairs” as an addition to “doing the lake.”

We have cleared out the homeless detritus and replanted/revived the six steep gardens. Now the steps are ground zero for serious boot camps, solitary exercisers, and tired home-owners taking a short cut from Lakeshore to Merritt Av. and Wesley.

We hope Sunset staff will spend some of their exercise time “doing the stairs.” It’s all free.

March 24, 2016 at 11:32 am
  7. The Sunset Headquarters Landscape | The Field

[…] the Western United States cannot be disputed. I regret to say that the property has been sold and Sunset has moved out. Some sources assure us the property won’t be changed very much, but I am skeptical of this […]

March 1, 2016 at 7:00 am
  8. Sunset's final Celebration Weekend spotlights downsizing, drought-tolerant landscaping

[…] Editor-in-Chief Peggy Northrop waxes on the magazine’s big-deal move away from the ‘burbs and back to the […]

February 5, 2016 at 12:50 am
  9. Tamara May

I hope You get some movers to help you move and welcome! 🙂

January 27, 2016 at 7:20 am
  10. David Techau

Yuk!

January 26, 2016 at 11:12 pm
  11. Sunset’s Great Clutter Challenge | A blog by Sunset

[…] matter how you slice it, moving ain’t easy. The last time I moved, I distinctly remember a moment—4 a.m. the day I was […]

November 16, 2015 at 11:00 am
  12. Thanksgiving Comfort Food | A blog by Sunset

[…] we approach our December office moves—to Oakland’s Jack London Square and to Sonoma’s Cornerstone—the Sunset staff has […]

November 12, 2015 at 8:00 am
  13. Free plants for all! | A blog by Sunset

[…] tip: With our big upcoming move to Oakland, we’re getting rid of a lot of containers, books, and plants. Expect to see a lot of Sunset […]

October 1, 2015 at 9:00 am
  14. Sunset’s Menlo Park gardens are closing Oct 30 | A blog by Sunset

[…] we begin boxing up our Cliff May ranch house in preparation for our dual moves to Oakland’s Jack London Square and Sonoma’s Cornerstone, we’ll be closing the […]

September 30, 2015 at 11:04 am
  15. Oktoberfest, an update from ‘The Shining’ hotel—and more great travel finds | A blog by Sunset

[…] way through the Bay Check out Sunset’s future hood, Oakland’s Jack London Square, and sample food and drinks from dozens of Bay Area vendors at […]

September 18, 2015 at 8:00 am
  16. Man with Van Richmond Ltd.

Great article. Every moving is a new beginning. Don`t worry you will adapt quickly. People need 40 days average to adapt. Greetings!

September 15, 2015 at 4:09 am
  17. Kicking off plans for Sunset’s new Test Garden in Sonoma | A blog by Sunset

[…] have heard the news: Sunset is moving at the end of the year. While the main office will be in Oakland’s Jack London Square, […]

August 25, 2015 at 9:00 am
  18. An expert’s tips for traveling with wine, Oakland intel, and more great travel finds | A blog by Sunset

[…] visit! With Sunset‘s move to Jack London Square, in Oakland, now mere months away, I’m seriously starting to stockpile Oakland intel. I loved […]

August 21, 2015 at 11:12 am
  19. Halley Zapata

This is a great news! Every move is like a new beginning and Oakland is a lovely place! Good luck!
    manwithvanhackney.co.uk

August 10, 2015 at 5:16 am
  20. Adriana Green

As a lifetime fan of Sunset Magazine, an Oakland resident and an avid roadtripper, I am excited to hear this news. I love discovering new places to photograph from your articles. Welcome! You will love it here!

July 31, 2015 at 3:26 pm
  21. mark

No doubt another soulless tech company will move in and sunset will lose its soul

July 30, 2015 at 10:35 pm
  22. Erika Reid

I am going to move to LA with my family because of my job and we all are so excited! We already started to packing our stuff and my little daughter can’t wait to see her new room. Thank you for the inspiring article!

July 21, 2015 at 4:57 am
  23. Recipe Testing at Sunset Magazine | A blog by Sunset

[…] Our original Test Kitchen, 1966 (left), and our current Test Kitchen (right). Recipe testing will continue to be part of our approach when we move to our new offices in Oakland and Sonoma.  […]

July 15, 2015 at 12:00 pm
  24. melanie gould

I must agree w/ the person who wrote: “white flight now gentrification”….we have to admit that and think about it…or not….in any event…I wish you the best. m. gould

June 25, 2015 at 7:22 am
  25. Karen

Such a great news! I wish you all the best here!

June 24, 2015 at 6:34 am
  26. Big dreams for our new outpost in Sonoma | A blog by Sunset

[…] anyone just catching up on our move from Menlo Park, think Town Mouse/Country Mouse. At our main offices at Oakland’s Jack London Square, we’ll be […]

June 18, 2015 at 10:19 am
  27. Jean Quan

Glad this came through. We maintained our subscription for 20 plus years through kids now grandchildren, politics and the food revolution. The Garden Guide helped us move away from traditional lawn decades ago. You will love our micro climates and the Lake Merritt gardens are a walk or soon a kayak trip away! You featured Oakland changes and the food scene when local media ignored our pioneers. Welcome home.

June 16, 2015 at 4:14 am
  28. Zoe

Great news! Welcome to the neighborhood and good luck with getting settled in! Greetings, Man With Van Forest Gate Ltd.

June 11, 2015 at 7:06 am
  29. Tia

Lovely news! All the best! 🙂

June 9, 2015 at 7:50 am
  30. Sunset Magazine moving to Jack London Square!

[…] Sunset Magazine Blog Post […]

June 7, 2015 at 3:20 pm
  31. Sunset Celebration Weekend Preview – Thee Getaway Gal | Thee Getaway Gal

[…] I wasn’t sure it was possible but I’m an even bigger Sunset fan after my visit. Great company! Great people! It will be exciting to visit their new waterfront location in Jack London Square. I’ve included a news clip below if you’d like to learn more about Sunset’s move or you can read about it HERE. […]

June 5, 2015 at 5:32 pm
  32. Vicki Blakeman

Welcome to Oakland! I relocated here from the suburban Ventura County a few years ago. For interior design it’s a mixed bag-fewer people seem to want or are able to afford it. Which may just part of changes wrought by Internet access to so much product availability. Wish more understood that access doesn’t equate with understanding how to make the best use of product OR space!

June 5, 2015 at 10:31 am
  33. Vail’s free concert series, an L.A. guide, Sunset’s big open house—and more! | A blog by Sunset

[…] gardening, cooking, camping, and other experts—and visit our gorgeous Menlo Park campus before we relocate at the end of this year. Tickets are still available online and at the […]

June 5, 2015 at 8:30 am
  34. Sunset is moving to Oakland’s Jack London Square | FreemontTheGreat

[…] a letter about the move posted on the Sunset website Northrop wrote: “Though we will all miss the gorgeous campus and gardens we have called home for […]

June 5, 2015 at 12:13 am
  35. Sunset is moving to Oakland’s Jack London Square | FreemontTheGood Blog

June 5, 2015 at 12:11 am
  36. How to make a big, beautiful salmon salad | A blog by Sunset

[…] be cooking this weekend at our final open house here at our Menlo Park campus. In December, we’re moving to Jack London Square, in Oakland—with our main gardens and outdoor kitchen at Cornerstone, in […]

June 4, 2015 at 1:13 pm
  37. Tara-Nicholle Nelson

As a long-time Oakland resident and homeowner, and a Board member of Oakland-based food justice organization City Slicker Farms, we could not be more delighted to have Sunset as a new neighbor! The best thing about Oakland is all its mixes: the mix of making and tech-ing, the mix of mountain and ocean, and especially the mix of all sorts of people living and eating and thinking and doing together – with a special Oakland flavor of joie de vivre. Sunset is about enjoying life, nature, beauty and the West, which couldn’t be a more Oakland-esque set of values. I predict that Sunset will just make the Oakland “mix” richer. Peggy and Team – welcome!

June 4, 2015 at 5:53 am
  38. Tammy Borichevsky

Welcome to the neighborhood! I have been a reader of Sunset for 20 years. So excited to have you come to Oakland. I hope that you and the Sunset crew will come and join us for kayaking or some stand-up paddling along the waterfront. My husband and I are Oakland residents and business owners we are your neighbors California Canoe & Kayak. I can’t wait to see what you will have growing in the new Garden.

June 3, 2015 at 4:55 pm
  39. Stephen

You could not be more welcome here. We love the thoughtful vision of West Coast living that the magazine so elegantly displays. I see there is always a naysayer, and there appears to a number on this list above, but as a business person in the downtown, I can assure you that are streets can support plenty more people and commerce. We have a fine new mayor with a sensible vision of what is good for Oakland, and I am pretty certain that Sunset is just awesome for all of us. I will be first to visit. Welcome to one of the world’s best places.

June 3, 2015 at 3:07 pm
  40. Janet Heller

We’re thrilled to welcome the Sunset gang to Oakland. Chapter 510 is a writing and literacy program building a new writing, retail and maker space in 2016. #MakeBelieveOakland. We’d love to plug your staff into tutoring and volunteering to support Oakland youth who want to write and be heard. We are artists, activists, booksellers, bookmakers, parents, teachers and philanthropists. Come join us.

June 3, 2015 at 1:01 pm
    • peggynorthrop

Love this idea Janet! We plan to move in December so let’s talk after that. I would love to participate and I bet other staffers would too.

Sent from my iPad

June 3, 2015 at 1:05 pm
  41. Jojo SF

This is such fantastic news – for Sunset, the east bay, Oaktown and JLS! Woohoo!! When can I submit my resume? Menlo was always a deterrent to want to commute to. Congratulations on a marvelous decision! I ♡ Sunset.

June 3, 2015 at 9:52 am
  42. mcw1000

As a longtime resident (and newly moved to JLS) of the wonderful town of Oakland, welcome! It’s a great place here… You’re going to love it. Right now I hear the train whistle and see the white sails of several boats headed out of the estuary. It’s beautiful.

June 3, 2015 at 8:57 am
  43. Molly R

Welcome to oakland! As a reader for 15 years, I am thrilled that sunset is joining the urban renewal which is happening in Oakland today. Creative, open minded, and diverse, Oakland has a grit and spirit that is often inspiring. I look forward to visiting your new digs, and using public transit to get there.

June 3, 2015 at 8:36 am
  44. Tara

Brilliant! Welcome with open arms. I subscribe and never knew about your gardens. JLS is a great destination. Ignore the negative comments. Life goes on. Change happens.

June 3, 2015 at 5:35 am
  45. skeptical

when you talk about “people” moving to the suburbs in the fifties and now moving back to cities, you are talking about white people specifically i’m pretty sure. “white flight” and now “gentrification.” just wanted to point out that your generalization of “everyone” was missing some people i think like who do you think was living in the cities all that time in between?? disclaimer i am a white person

June 2, 2015 at 10:29 pm
    • Skeptical2

Yeah, not to mention the probable real reason. $$$. I’m guessing that plot of land went for, what, 75million? More? Love sunset. Buying the magazine but not buying the spin

June 13, 2015 at 6:21 pm
  46. Amy Long

Sorry but this is going to be a nightmare for those that live in Sonoma. I wish the magazine well but you’re not welcomed by this household. There is no infrastructure to support the kind of traffic this move will bring. It’s already unbearable coming in and out of town with the day to day traffic. Sonoma doesn’t need yet another wine country destination. The old Sonoma is quickly getting pushed out, and the county is too blinded by the potential revenue to also do what’s good for the people that live here.

June 2, 2015 at 10:25 pm
    • Sonya

They are moving to Jack London Square in Oakland. Myself having lived in Sonoma & now a resident of Oakland, this will not affect Sonoma in any way, but is a much welcomed addition to the Oakland waterfront!

June 3, 2015 at 6:16 pm
  47. Keith Wall

Don’t forget California local produce every Sunday at the Farmers’ Market right outside your door! Stop by and say hello anytime new neighbor. 🙂

June 2, 2015 at 10:22 pm
  48. chris

Welcome to Oakland Sunset Mag! We love it here even with it’s rough patches, the goodness of Oakland always prevails. We have plenty to write about, our parks, food scene, the green scene and the coffee beans! You’ll love the weather here too, always 6 degrees warmer than SF.

June 2, 2015 at 9:54 pm
  49. Maria Tanzillo

Welcome to Oakland! You will love it and its awesome diversity! Looking forward to meeting up with our new neighbors! Oakland is iconic and soon you will experience why!

June 2, 2015 at 9:09 pm
  50. Cookie (@kovacslives)

Please tell us what will become of the historic Menlo Park location.

June 2, 2015 at 8:42 pm
    • YourFriend

SOLD to the highest bidder.

June 13, 2015 at 6:24 pm
  51. Pat Patterson

Congratulations Sunset and welcome to Oakland! My art group is installing this Friday, at Market Hall, first floor, for 2 weekends in June, 6,7,13.14. Our 5th year. I’ve seen the 2nd floor, so you have great space! If any staff is around please visit our show, 50+ great artists and we attract hundreds of art supporters. Thanks! Pat Patterson

June 2, 2015 at 8:09 pm
  52. Pat Patterson

Welcome Sunset to Oakland! You’ll love your new digs! My group: Market Hall Artists, are installing this Friday, for Pro Arts Open Studios, which runs June 6,7,13,14. 11a 6p. We learned that this will be our last year of exhibiting at the Hall. I’ve seen the 2nd floor too and its fantastic. If you can, please drop in and see 50 great established artists who attract hundreds of art lovers from all over the bay area. Wish you could do a story on us. I love the magazine! Good luck, Pat Patterson; Photographer, http://www.markethallartists.com.

June 2, 2015 at 8:06 pm
  53. JBannis

Congratulations! An urban slant for Sunset? Will miss the Menlo Park compound!

June 2, 2015 at 7:39 pm
  54. Nivole

Welcome to The Town!

June 2, 2015 at 7:12 pm
  55. Oaktown H

Hooray! Welcome to Oakland – I love it here and hope you will too. I love my Sunset magazine. You share such wonderful things with us, thank you.

June 2, 2015 at 7:04 pm
  56. Lana

Yay! Welcome to Oakland! So excited about this news – I love Sunset magazine!

June 2, 2015 at 6:35 pm
  57. Jennifer Mahan

Yay! Welcome to Oakland. You’ll love it here as much as we do. Looking forward to taking my kids to your new offices; Jack London Square is a family favorite.

June 2, 2015 at 5:25 pm
  58. Peggy Northrop

Sounds like we are already getting a warm welcome. We ❤ Oakland!

June 2, 2015 at 5:10 pm
  59. Richard C

Welcome to Oakland, we’re glad to have you! Your new location is beautiful, and it’ll be even better once the new market is humming. I’m sure you’ll have as much fun as I do exploring all the great food and fun our town has to offer, right in the center of the culture and natural beauty of the Bay Area. I look forward to visiting!

June 2, 2015 at 4:40 pm
  60. Shawne Hightower

Are you hiring?

June 2, 2015 at 4:21 pm
  61. Janet Kipps

My question as well–what will become of the Meno Park location??

June 2, 2015 at 4:11 pm
  62. Abby

Great news – I just started working in Jack London square and I love it! WELCOME!

June 2, 2015 at 2:00 pm
  63. DB

Welcome to Oakland! We are booming and blossoming here and this spot will be perfect for you!

June 2, 2015 at 1:08 pm
  64. Annalee Allen

We are excited. Contact the Oakland Tours Program, aallen@oaklandnet.com, and we will set you up with our free tours (including Jack London Waterfront). Phone number is 510 238-3234

June 2, 2015 at 1:06 pm
  65. Daniel Gregory

Bravo, Peggy and everyone at Sunset. Repotting and Reinvention! It sounds like a great move. Oakland and Sonoma are lucky to have you. Onward and upward!

Best,

Dan

June 2, 2015 at 12:54 pm
  66. pat S

OAKLAND? Really? Why? Not for me!

June 2, 2015 at 12:53 pm
  67. Maria Aranas

Welcome neighbor!! I will definitely come by for a visit… BTW, I’m still waiting for my magazine subscription.. Sunset that is. 😉

June 2, 2015 at 12:31 pm
  68. Dyann

Moving to Oakland is staying in step with your readers. The location is more central, the weather is great, the Bay is at your door. The Cornerstone news is a surprise, but makes good sense. It has so much potential bot has always missed the brass ring. With new, forward-thinking owners, the timing is right.
    Be sure to plant wind resistant gardens as the afternoon Carneros winds are a daily occurrence.
    Cheers!

June 2, 2015 at 12:11 pm
  69. Sunset Magazine Moving HQ to Jack London Square | Keep Oakland Beautiful

[…] – This is an excerpt from Sunset’s website, for the full post vist this link: http://westphoria.sunset.com/2015/06/02/sunset-magazine-moving-to-oakland/#sthash.5tjK6DrA.dpuf  […]

June 2, 2015 at 11:39 am
  70. karen

Yay! You’ll be a lot closer for us to visit!

June 2, 2015 at 10:16 am
  71. Karla allen

So, what’s happening to the Menlo Park location? Offices? Its so pretty?

June 2, 2015 at 10:15 am