We’re inviting all of you. Read on for details…
The One-Block Feast, our book based on this blog, gives you everything you need to grow a summer feast. It includes planting plans, gardening advice, and food project guides (how to make vinegar, raisebees for honey, brew beer, and more), plus over 100 recipes.
Here’s the challenge: With the book as your guide, you and your family, and/or friends and neighbors, will grow a summer garden, following our plan—or planting whatever grows best in your area. Then you’ll throw a block party for yourselves, using (as much as possible) only what you’ve raised or made. For a preview of the book, which comes out March 22, visit our website.
We’ll tell your story and feature you in an upcoming issue of Sunset as well as on our blog. You’ll also get $500 cash to spend however you like.
ENTRY DEADLINE: MARCH 30, 2011
Send us a brief paragraph about why you’d like to enter this contest, plus a list of:
• Plants you’ll grow
• Food projects you’ll take on
• Recipes (original) you plan to make for your party
• Names of those who’ll be involved in the project
Include a contact name, address, email, and phone. Then send your entry to email@example.com or Sunset magazine, 80 Willow Road, Menlo Park, CA, 94025 (attention: One-Block Party).
We’ll choose 10 finalists by April 8 and send each group a book (additional copies will be available for $10, a significant discount off the cover price of $24.95). Then it’s Go Time in your gardens!
THE RULES (FOR FINALISTS)
• Give your group a name.
• Take a few photos (preferably date-stamped) of your garden (or gardens, if you’re doing this with neighbors or friends) on planting day, then every month until harvest. Same for any projects you take on. Add video too, if you like.
• Create original recipes for the party, take a picture of each, and write down its recipe.
• Take photos and/or videos of your One-Block Party.
By September 25, send us all of the above materials by email or post (same address as above). The winner will be announced on October 2, 2011 as part of the culmination of our Savor the Central Coast event near San Luis Obispo, CA.