Squirrel damage

October 4, 2010 | By | Comments (6)

It took everything in me not to title this post, “$%^$*#@ Squirrels!” I don’t think that would have done much for our Search Engine Optimization.

Damage

It’s acorn-planting time, everyone! Let’s go rummage around in the test garden, amongst all of Johanna’s newly planted fall/winter crops and mess everything up! What do you say — are you in?!

Grrr. Should have left this bowl of Renee’s new ‘Wine Country Mesclun’ wrapped in floating row cover over the weekend. Oh well.

COMMENTS

1. Joshua

I’ve had some hellish times with our squirrels, what with our gigantic walnut tree. This time of year, they are looking to bury caches for the Winter, which means that no potted plant is safe. Good luck.

October 7, 2010 at 4:34 am
  2. Johanna

Team Squirrel? NOT IT.

October 6, 2010 at 2:19 am
  3. Margaret

Grrrr. I hate squirrels. My uncle used to hunt them and eat them. He says they were delish. Maybe we should try that?

October 5, 2010 at 10:16 pm
  4. KathyG

Fear of search engines didn’t prevent me from posting about my own &^%#$! deer invasion yesterday. See ‘Grrrrrrrr” on arabellasgarden.blogspot.com if interested. Then I got live action photos when the so and so came back in broad daylight. At least with squirrels you could cover your pots with bird netting if necessary. Squirrels are small and sort of cute. If they’re not raiding your garden, though I tend to think of them as rats with bushy tails. Deer are …….. grrrrrrrrrr is all I can say.

October 5, 2010 at 2:43 pm
  5. Kimberly

Ugh. The crazy squirrels here dug up my fragile caulifower and broccoli seedlings that i lovingly grew from seed. I am super bummed.

October 5, 2010 at 2:51 am
  6. Karen

I feel your pain. I think I find at least one acorn in every potted plant I have. Clean up the mess and turn the pot so the hole in the coverage is at the back:-) At least the ones that sprout in pots are easy to pull out, acorn and all. The ones in adobe soil just break off. The squirrels don’t seem to mess with the vegetable seedlings planted in the ground.

October 4, 2010 at 8:14 pm