Hawk attack

January 8, 2010 | By | Comments (11)

Nothing like a predatory bird to liven things up!

Hawk

Today we spotted a hawk eating a squirrel on the main lawn. Jim was glad it was a squirrel and not a chicken (actually, Jim wanted nothing to do with today’s events. He doesn’t do so well with blood and guts). I’m all for hawks controlling the squirrel population. They are they only major pest I’ve had trouble with in the test garden over the last two growing seasons — they decimated Team Beer’s wheat and snatched some of the baby butternut squash from the vine. Bon app├ętit, hawk!

COMMENTS

1. make your own beer

What a picture. Amazing photo. How did you ever capture that? Nature’s creatures doing what they do best.

October 10, 2010 at 3:45 pm
  2. Trina

Predation on the Sunset lawn? That is pretty awesome. Must’ve been something to actually witness.

January 22, 2010 at 12:40 am
  3. Elizabeth

Not that I wish death to any little critter, but woo hoo Hawk! Pesky squirrels, got my butternut, pumpkins, zuks, persimmons, figs, and the chicken food… My yard is a squirrel smorgasbord in Allied Arts.

January 14, 2010 at 9:57 pm
  4. Melissa

I live in Mountain View and also have problems with those pesky black squirrels getting onto my patio and destroying my plants…maybe a pet hawk will do the trick!Beautiful picture the hawk is gorgeous!

January 12, 2010 at 7:13 pm
  5. chrispy

Beautiful!!

January 12, 2010 at 12:09 am
  6. KathyG

Nice one! What a handsome fellow! I’m with you on the squirrels too. Bring on the hawks in my ‘hood. Well, at least until I get my chix.

January 10, 2010 at 12:04 am
  7. vitamins

Hello
    I like this picture of hawk.This looks amazing.You have taken a great shot of hawk eating a squirrel.Thank you very much for showing this photograph to us.

January 9, 2010 at 1:16 pm
  8. sharon

I’m glad it wasn’t one of the chicken, but I agree with the other commenters. Awesome creature and thrilling photo.

January 8, 2010 at 8:13 pm
  9. Cara

We live in SJ and had a hawk dive bomb our backyard this summer to try and get our chicks. Thankfully our dog has kept the hawks away when our girls are out in the yard. Amazing photo!

January 8, 2010 at 5:07 am
  10. CJ

We live down the street from the Menlo Park Sunset headquarters and lost a chicken to a hawk last year. Beautiful creatures though, and great photo.

January 8, 2010 at 5:00 am
  11. Jessica

Awesome photo!! I wish more hawks could be spotted here in the High Desert.

January 8, 2010 at 1:37 am