BUTTernut squash

December 4, 2009 | By | Comments (9)

Remember the butternut squash that was stuck in the trellis a while back?

Here’s a picture of what the arbor looks like now:

IMG_5967

I need to get a ladder and a knife and slice them out of them out of there. I don’t know exactly what I’m waiting for. I keep thinking that maybe they’ll rot and be a delicious snack for the birds, but I don’t think they’re rotting anytime soon.

I think they’re funny. They kind of put the “butt” in butternut, no?

Here are some of Sunset’s winter squash recipes. My favorite is the jalapeƱo-ginger soup.

COMMENTS

1. reid

I’m loving the trellis too… and really want one exactly like it for my garden… where did you get it?

July 23, 2010 at 6:11 pm
  2. invertir forex

Hello,
    love, love your trellis. Where did you get it?
    Very nice info!!!

February 5, 2010 at 5:49 pm
  3. starflower oil

Hello
    Hey this is quite funny and I like it.Its very interesting to read this post about butternut squash.I like that you have shared this with us.

December 28, 2009 at 1:06 pm
  4. Elizabeth

I love, love, love your trellis. Where did you get it? BTW, I have birds (chickens,) bees, and my own little biosphere in Menlo Park too!
    Elizabeth

December 28, 2009 at 8:21 am
  5. Johanna Silver

KG — You are right. I’m being optimistic. It’ll take a machete. Sigh. I think I’ll leave them for the time being. I’m enjoying the visual of people walking under the BUTTernuts. SB — I look at those chicken pics on a very regular basis. Glad they make you giggle.

December 9, 2009 at 6:44 am
  6. SB

You are so funny! I still giggle when I think of your pictures of panting chickens from last summer.

December 6, 2009 at 7:41 pm
  7. Rachel

If you want the squash to rot out and feed the birds, they need to be cracked. Don’t use a ladder; just use a pole and bang on them a little while until a few cracks appear. Then wait. They’ll rot out in just a few days.

December 5, 2009 at 11:31 pm
  8. KathyG

What a sight — very funny. Though, if you think a mere knife is going to cut through those suckers, you’re a more optimistic woman than I am. I’m thinking you’ll need something more like a machete

December 5, 2009 at 12:38 pm
  9. Allyson

That is too funny! Maybe if you cut them open and then let the birds eat them? I would probably leave them there forever! I love it.

December 5, 2009 at 2:21 am