Team Escargot?

May 7, 2009 | By | Comments (6)

I’m back from the James Beard weekend extravaganza in NYC and am completely invigorated and inspired. We noshed on an incredible array of goodies after the Monday night awards, and it got me thinking about how to push the envelope on what we produce in the test garden.

P5050002
Could we? Should we? Am I nuts?

Esquire took on this question last summer and it seems entirely possible to turn regular garden snails into fancy escargot so long as you purge them for several weeks to get whatever nastiness they’ve eaten out of their systems.

It seems like something fun to try, especially considering that they usually end up looking like this:

P5050010

Yes, I know I can feed them to the chickens. Sometimes the sole of my boot just gets the best of me.

COMMENTS

1. TA

Ever try squishing with flip-flops?

July 8, 2009 at 4:12 pm
  2. Margaret

I’ve tried it, and they came out tasting like, well, like snails. And it takes a long, long time, with many steps.

But I’ve had snails made by others, and they were delicious. So who knows? You should try it!

May 9, 2009 at 1:27 am
  3. Kimberley

I say that yes, you are nuts.

May 8, 2009 at 9:08 pm
  4. Salmon Cabin

You absolutely should do it! I grew up eating escargot from a family friend’s back yard right in San Francisco. He did purify their systems for a good period of time (I’m sure you can find lots of info on doing this online.) The results were delicious (even as a young kid I thought so.) Of course, what isn’t good when slathered in butter, garlic and parsley?

May 8, 2009 at 3:39 am
  5. Laurel Busch

You wouldn’t be the first to do it. See my entry about an Englishwoman who eats her garden snails:

I wouldn’t even consider it, myself!

May 7, 2009 at 5:09 pm
  6. pedroza family

Koi fish also love to eat snails.

May 7, 2009 at 4:35 am